Monday, February 20, 2006

Greetings, people. To all three of you who may find your way to this blog, I say, "Welcome. Leave your shoes by the door. Want a beer?"

A bit about me: I am too old and too busy to stay up all night sharing my deepest ridiculous thoughts with cyberspace, and yet somehow, I am compelled. My particular interest is in Ultimate Frisbee (hereafter referred to only as Ultimate, so those who actually play the sport will not laugh me out of town). It seems likely that much of this blog will be devoted to ranting about Ultimate and my old-school perspective on how this shit is supposed to work.

A bit about you: how in the hell have you managed to search and locate this homely little page?

A bit about the name: Dogdish Steering. When I was a kid, my dad had a small sailboat that we used to race in weekly leagues. Its name: No Matter How Hard You Try You Can't Steer a Dogdish. I believe this to be some sort of obsure Peanuts reference a la Snoopy. Now, I don't know about you, but every time I go to Ultimate (practice, league, pickup, whatever) there are dogs drinking out of Frisbees. This made me think of the boat, and the name, and the futility (and beauty) of trying to make a round flat object fly in a specified direction. Takes some skill; and practice. But damn, it sure is sweet when it works.

Enough for now. In subsequent posts, you can expect me to go off on subjects including: hegemony in college rankings, gerrymandering in the UPA's regional boundaries, why girls can't catch, and other cranky topics. About Frisbee, I can be a sanctimonious bitch. Stay tuned.

No comments: